Thursday, September 26, 2013

Homework 7: Blender Animation in the Game Engine


The video above is an updated version of my previous submission and my submission for assignment 7.

Parenting- While the previous version did have parenting (the empties which added doors and spit to the scene and the camera were parented to my character, Jimbo), this project added an additional empty (called 'throwBall') and a new arm which are parented to Jimbo.


Animation-  The arm that has been parented to Jimbo animates a throwing action and a ball is thrown (from the 'throwBall' empty) when the 'Q' button is pressed.  This is difficult to see in the video (because the quality of the recording is apparently too low), so I have include still of this this process below.

Linking from another file: I linked in an object (a blue tennis ball) from another file. (tennisballfile.blend).  This object is thrown (addObject logic actuator from empty parented to Jimbo) at the same time that the above animation is played.

Materials- I added some materials to my scene. I used a brick material on the Building (the roof has a gravel material, although its not visible in the game) as well as a grass material on the ground.  I did these using UV mapping the UV image editor.

How it fits in our game: Parenting and animation will be integral to our game since our game will likely be in 1st person perspective.  Therefore we do not necessarily need to create a character that can be seen by the player but instead can use a series of animation for arms, weapons and accessories to give the player a sense that they are controlling a character.  Linking will help us stay organized and efficient by allowing us to edit objects that we have placed in our game and having them automatically update in our game.  Materials are used to make our objects more realistic which I believe is very important in horror games. No one is afraid of a tacky haunted house.

No comments:

Post a Comment