Thursday, September 19, 2013

Homework 5: Game Engine



What I did:
For this assignment I created a scene which includes a floor, a building with a revolving door, a character (named Jimbo) who can create doors in front of him and knock them over with projectile spit.  Jimbo is a amorphous blob character that I created as part of the Blender tutorial offered on lynda.com (available free through FSU Blackboard Secure Apps).  I parented to him, an empty which shoots out a spitball when the spacebar is pressed and a empty which adds a door (the item I created for assignment 3) to the scene when the 'E' key is pressed.  I also created a basic building with a revolving door that is constantly revolving in my scene with an 'always' sensor and actuator which rotate the object on its z-axis.  Jimbo can move only forward and backwards using the 'W' and 'S' keys, respectively.  He can also rotate clockwise and counter-clockwise on his z-axis by pressing the 'A' and 'D' keys, respectively.  In this way he is able to move around the entire map.  You can delete all doors and spitballs from the map by hitting the 'Z' button which ends all of these objects.

The idea behind this project is that Jimbo can setup doors almost like dominoes and then knock them over by spitting at the door closest to him (this is demonstrated in the video).  The revolving door rotates  but the whole building is mostly for aesthetic purposes and doesn't interact with my character.  In addition, I parented a camera to Jimbo so that the game could be played from a first-person perspective (if you switch to camera perspective prior to launching the engine).

How these things relate to our game:  
A level in our game may consist of our character doing a task, discovering story elements, or completing a puzzle.  I thought that the domino simulation that I made for this project could be extended to one of these tasks of puzzles.  Maybe our character would need to place objects in her inventory onto the floor in a particular arrangement or must toss supplies to other survivors across a chasm.  The revolving door represents a dynamic environment in which background objects are moving even if our character is doing nothing.  I also wanted to try parenting the camera to Jimbo in order to play around with ways that I might accomplish a first-person game perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Consider choosing motion parameters for smoother motion.

    ReplyDelete