Thursday, September 12, 2013

Homework 3

For this assignment (click here for the .blend file), I created a door.  I started with a cube, scaled it to the appropriate dimensions, and then subdivided the object.  I deleted everything to the left of the z-axis and behind the y-axis and applied a mirror modifier so that not only would the left and right sides of the door be symmetrical, but also the front and back. I extruded specific regions of the quarter-prism, scaled, transformed, and extruded again to create the panel-effect that is seen on many doors.
 Next, I created a doorknob for the door. Starting a with UV sphere, I removed circular faces from the top and bottom of the sphere. On top, I cut another sphere in half, extruding and transforming it to shape the button/lock/ornament of the know.  On the bottom, I added a cylinder and the top half of a UV sphere to create the handle and door attachment.  These elements were joined together after color was added.
Finally, I decided to add some effects to the door to make it look like its been through some tough times.  I created a cube with fractal subdivisions and used a Boolean modifier to take this fractal chunk out of the top corner of the door.  I also used a landscape mesh (ANT landscape plugin) and the Boolean modifier to create a crack in the door.

In our horror game, the main character navigates the 'ruins' of a post-disaster city to find other survivors who may have taken shelter in the city's tattered remaining buildings.  Therefore the effects on the door (the missing chunk, crack) , represent the state that this city is currently in.  You might imagine these doors lying in rubble next to a building, or barely hanging on its hinges, or perhaps scarred with the markings of some creature that may lurk behind it.  In horror games, a door can symbolize the character's fear of whats on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment